Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Come little child...

You know how vinyl lettering on walls is becoming so popular?  Well, I admit I want to put some in house as well.  So for a couple months I have been thinking and thinking about what phrase or saying I would like to represent in our home.  And then it hit me one night when I was singing to one of the boys - "Come little child and together we'll learn..." from "Teach Me To Walk In the Light". That was it!  I want our home to be a home of learning - about the gospel, about the world, about each other, about others.  So I have been observing how it plays out in our family.
Today Mike left for his first day of teaching a college course.  As part of his graduate assistantship this year he gets to teach Psychology 101, and he is so excited about it.  His end goal for a career is teaching at a college level, so it is good training.  He is such a fantastic example of not only learning, but excelling at learning.  He does everything well, so I know he will be great at teaching too.  He has learned his field well.  Not only that, though, he is learning how to balance school, family (wife and kids, goodness!), church and recreation.  I have to say that he does a pretty good job and is learning that lesson well too.

I am really enjoying learning through Mike.  He has taught me so much about psychology.  And I have been taking the chance I have right now to learn a few things.  I am trying to learn how to sew, and I love it.  I love being able to create something.  I have also been trying to teach myself some html and other online programming, which I never knew I would enjoy, but I really do.

I have been thinking lately about how much the boys are growing and learning.  It seems that they go through spurts where it seems like that are learning every second and I am amazed at what they say or do.  Jordan has recently learned what the traffic lights mean.  So whenever we go out anywhere, it is constant talk about the green, orange (he still thinks the yellow light is orange) and red lights and what they do.  He soaks up knowledge and thrives on it.  Evan is finally talking more, and we are surprised at what he knows.  We realized that because he doesn't talk as much as Jordan, we assumed he didn't understand as much as he does.  But he is now letting us know what he knows.  Lately he has been loving animals and their sounds.  And the biggest lessons they are learning right now are how to share and take care of each other.  Constant learning.  And their learning is a great chance for me to learn more about life and family as well (it is a way to look on the bright side of those hard days, anyway!)  For example, I am still trying to figure out a trick to get Evan to eat a sandwich for lunch.  Or how to reign in a three-year-old who isn't interested in what you tell him to do.  And most importantly, I am still learning how to be patient with two very strong, smart, busy little boys.  I hope that my boys continue to love learning as much as they do, that they recognize all there is to learn in this life, and that they especially love learning and living the gospel.  Here we go, a lifetime of learning up ahead!

No comments: